My misophonia is getting worse as I get older

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum My misophonia is getting worse as I get older

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Laura

I have disliked noise for as long as I can remember, but as I have got older it has got worse to the point where I find it difficult to be with people. I am naturally a bubbly person, but of recent times I have become more withdrawn and want to be on my own. To read other people’s stories is of great comfort, because as much as you may have the most loving family, I don’t think people truly understand unless they have experienced it.

#1011846 Reply

Hey Laura, totally agree, there are some great stories on there. It’s great to know that we’re not alone.

I just want to add some counterbalance on the age/misophonia issue – as this has come up a couple of times recently.

My own personal experience is that my misophonia hasn’t worsened with age and that it has more or less stayed the same, but with peaks and troughs which can sometimes last weeks or months.

For me those peaks and troughs almost always seem to be related to one of two things:

1) Stress levels (how much work I have on and how things are going with my relationships)
    2) My environment (i.e. have the sounds in my day to day increased/decreased recently?)

As an overarching theme, and an addition to the above, is that I’ve found learning more about misophonia and reading about neuroscience and the brain has really helped me improve the way I can cope in the day to day.

#1012446 Reply
    Mary

i’ve had misophonia since i have been a child. It has been terrible. I avoid people as much as possible. My latest problem is there is a low humming noise that i hear when i am at home. I’m not sure if it’s a neighbor’s tv or maybe something else , but it keeps me awake at night. I can’t concentrate and I am nervous when I am at home. I wish I could live somewhere that is completely away from people. This has affected my life so horribly. I’m glad I finally have a place to vent where people understand. I am ashamed to tell my family.

#1012449 Reply
    Carola

Hello everyone

First of all, I am very happy to have found this site. I see that there are more people in the same situation as me.

The truth is that sounds have bothered me for a long time and that I think I have misophony, when I hear certain sounds I feel irritable and in a bad mood.

The problem is that for a long time now my partner’s noises have bothered me and that has caused our relationship to get worse … I really don’t know if my misophony can make the relationship wear out and end.

Lately I have begun to notice strange things in my partner, his behaviors … and I suppose it is because of my reactions to his sounds that bother me and my treatment towards him.

I have found a site that talks about infidelity in marriage and it has given me good answers, but I want to ask you if anyone has suffered this situation with misophinia and if it has affected the marriage.

#1012805 Reply
    Anne Janet crane

I too have had miso since I was very young. When in school, clicking pens, tapping, seeing repetitive motion, hearing whispering, (disturbing more when you know the offender can control it) was a nightmare. I have custom made earplugs because hearing my husband breathe triggers me. We have changed restaurant tables more times than I care to remember just because a table nearby had loud talkers and annoying laughter. Loud talkers with accents exacerbates my triggers. The only thing redeeming is that my husband has been very understanding. This pandemic requiring us to stay at home, to me has made my miso so much more tolerable. Good to know that other people share my misery.

#1012917 Reply
    Nora

Hi! My case of misophonia has also gotten worse with time and age. I’m also ashamed to talk to my family about it. They know and try to help but helping them understand more is beyond difficult. Sometimes I think they finally get it and the next day my dad says something ignorant that really hurts me. Then they get so angry at me for not talking to them about it and communicating but the truth is whenever I do they just don’t understand. I feel like I can’t do anything right. In order to not get triggered, I wear my headphones at every family gathering, but then they get super upset at me if I can’t hear (I have to turn the volume up super loud to relive myself). Then if I don’t wear them so I can hear, I get triggered and lash out and they get angry at me for that. I cannot do anything right. Hearing your stories is painful but we share this pain. I have never met or known of another person with this issue, so hearing that others struggle too takes some of the load off.

#1012930 Reply
    Hatice

I have misophonia ever since I know myself, but it gets worse as I grow older. now my eyes are full even when I only see gum. And I’m only 16 years old. My family probably sees me as an obsessed teenager. I tried to explain to them but I got bad reactions. That is, misophonia is not only that much. I have had okb, anxiete and depression with misophonia. I think I am even bipolar. misophonia triggers many diseases, but psychiatrists do not care as much as necessary. I want to live. I want to enjoy life. But life condemns me to drown under a deep sea. please tell me your suggestions.I don’t know how much more I can live this way.

#1012943 Reply

Hi Hatice, I’m so sorry to hear what you’ve been going through. I know it might not seem like it at the moment it but I really think it does get easy to cope with as you get older (not least because you have more independence and freedom to find quiet spaces as and when you need to as an adult). If you have a moment take a look here at some coping techniques which may help you: https://www.allergictosound.com/articles/misophonia-coping-strategies/. Also, this article may be helpful for your parents: https://www.allergictosound.com/articles/why-parents-partners-siblings-mum-dad-biggest-misophonia-triggers/. If you’re feeling overwhelmed please don’t suffer in silence Hatice and do let your parents know how you’re feeling so they can help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: My misophonia is getting worse as I get older
Your information: