sounds that make me physically ill

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum sounds that make me physically ill

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 6 years ago by Eppie.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Moe

Hi,
      I have a coworker that has the most annoying voice. Not only is it monotone, which triggers my misophonia due to the repetitive sound of dullness, monotone but the tone of her voice is starting to make me physically ill. I’m not sure if the physical reaction is due to my anxiety surrounding her every word but it is starting to affect my work performance. I am trying my best to block her out of my mind but the resonance in her voice is pounding in my ear and brain. I step away several times a day to ESCAPE. The nasal nose sound of monotone and annoyance is very hard to deal with along with her incessant rapid fire laughter I start feeling sick to my stomach. This is just a recent discovery the last couple weeks. It’s a hard day on me physically and mentally. I’m trying not to sound like a victim or a whoa is me, just trying to figure out what other techniques I can do to calm myself and learn to live with my professional surroundings.

#8624 Reply
      Eppie

Hey Moe,

I’m also finding work really tough and miserable because of this. Are you in a job where you can wear earplugs or ear phones? i’m looking into plugs that may muffle the offending sounds or earphones that could drown it out entirely but it’s not ideal.

Do you find it gets worse if you find someone dislikeable to start with? I do. If I really like someone but they eat loudly – I find it irritating. If I find someone obnoxious from the outset and they were to make the same noise – I will feel ready to explode and will fixate on my anger at them.

I’m assuming talking to her is a no go. You could mimick pain next time she laughs (exclaim ‘ooouch’ and hold your head. If she asks you what wrong, just explain you have an ear sensitivity issue. People are more likely to be sympathetic if they think something causes you physical pain.

Probably terrible advice!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      Reply To: Reply #8624 in sounds that make me physically ill
      Your information: