My trigger

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum My trigger

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Isaac Roths

Idk if this is necessarily how things are done, but I think all I really need right now is to mention what sound I hate most and who keeps making it all the time. ***** from ****** ****** (YouTube channel. He’s not the only one to make this noise, but it’s most infuriating with this guy.) makes this noise where he swallows while talking, and possibly clicks his tongue while “smacking” his lips. The lip smacking is more like that sound that you make when you create pressure inside your mouth, purse your lips together, and “pull” them apart as quickly as possible to make that “pop” sound. Also, I have agoraphobia, so that’s why basically all of the sounds that infuriate me come from YouTube.

Anyway, it’d be cool if anyone knows what sound I’m talking about, and agrees that it’s an infuriating sound, but I’m perfectly fine with just posting this thread. Now, I can go in peace. 😛

#1008982 Reply

Hi Isaac! Welcome to the forum. Great to have you here. I probably should make this clearer on the site but we try to avoid calling out individuals for triggers on here, hence the blanks above where the name is. Your description is excellent so I’m sure people will understand the kind of trigger sound you’re talking about.

#1009003 Reply
      Isaac Roths

I also now know that the sound is called a “palatal click”, and that the lip smacking has little to no involvement. A palatal click is similar to the clucking sound (probably called a palatal cluck.) you make by putting your tongue against the roof of your mouth and quickly drawing it down to the bottom, where it makes the clucking sound. This isn’t annoying, to me. The palatal click is where you put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and then quickly draw it backwards, instead of straight down.

#1009002 Reply
        Isaac Roths

Ok. That’s fine. It’s one of those things that seems obvious now that I know it. I just wanted to give an example of this sound. I guess a better, non annoying (and, therefore, hopefully safe to give), example would be the “X” sound in African clicking languages. I believe the language is something like “Xhosa”. Idk why it’s not annoying, because it’s the exact same sound but whatever.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
        Reply To: Reply #1009003 in My trigger
        Your information: