My husbands clicking is driving me mad

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum My husbands clicking is driving me mad

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 5 years ago by Daniel S.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Beth

Hi, so my husband clicks ALOT, his throat his toes and his fingers. The throat is not his fault as he can’t breathe through his nose but the other things he just forgets. We argue about it a lot and just wondering what you guys use as coping mechanisms? I am getting really concerned as its making me really unhappy now and I feel that I’m always telling him off.
      Any ideas on hiw to deal with this would be much appreciated. Thanks

#1009614 Reply
      CJ

Do a jokey pantomime booo. This highlights the issue without it getting heated. Or walk out the room suďdenly when he starts to make him aware. A lot of the time people don’t realise which doesn’t make it any easier and still gripes me they have no awareness when they do it and how it may afect others.

Make a joke out of it like “What you doing that for?” Or “Is that fun?” This can often help.

#1010005 Reply
        Daniel S

Appreciate the post. It’s interesting, and difficult, for me because I’m on your husband’s side of this. If I only talk about the sound aspect of my relationship, I’d say that it took me a lot of time to be understanding. For me, I couldn’t understand why something that was intrinsic, and mostly uncontrollable, like breathing or eating, is something I’d have to change. “Why do I have to re-learn how to eat, breath, go to the bathroom, etc.?”, “Why is my partner criticizing someone I learned how to do as a kid?”. Not sure if this will help you, putting yourself in your partner’s shoes? After a time I learned to be more understanding of which sounds bother her. However, I’d say her coping mechanisms were poor for this as well as anxiety and stress. She never sought treatment and demanded I be the one to change. She at one point demanded I eat separately from her and the kids. She never really took steps to prevent, mitigate, or treat the illness and it was always incumbent on me to find a solution. At the end of the day anxiety and depression were far more difficult to deal with but they are related.

Bottom line, be compassionate for your partner and seek help for yourself. Be as patient as you can for your partner to learn what they are doing is harming you.

#1011425 Reply
          Emma

Hi
            My husbands is my main trigger which I known is very common. I am triggered by his swallowing and general eating. He also fidgets, this is very unrelaxing when watching telly etc but managable.
            We have been together for 25 yrs but I have only know about misophonia for 1 yr.
            My main trigger for my husband is his feet which click when he walks. I was getting very depressed and thought I couldnt continue living with him.
            Finding out that I have misaophonia has saved our marraige. I wear earplugs when he is at home which cuts out the clicking noise etc. Its not ideal but 100 times better. He is totally acdepting of the condition and also releived as it really was awful before.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          Reply To: My husbands clicking is driving me mad
          Your information: