I think I’m suffering from Misopohonia

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum I think I’m suffering from Misopohonia

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kerry

As ive got older I’ve developed a very low tolerance of certain noises. Slamming doors, heavy breathing, noisy eating, and traffic are just a few of the triggers. I live on a road where there a passing cars. This puts me on edge constantly and it’s taking over my life. I’m anxious and hate it. My partner doesnt even notice it. How can I begin to overcome this?

#8676 Reply
      Mark

I’ve just found out tonight there is a name to go with problem I’ve had since I was a kid. Like you, I live near a busy street and the noise triggers are getting worse by the day. Unbeknownst to me, I moved into an apt where I’m getting doors slamming from above me and beside me and on top of that an older lady upstairs is constantly moving furniture across her wood floor. It’s almost daily and she won’t stop! Three o’clock in the morning the neighbors front door slams and wakes me in a anxiety ridden panic. Unfortunately the markets are extremely bad right now where I live and it’s so difficult to find a good place.

My gf and I had just got back today from a 2 day vacation (in hopes of de-stressing me), and within a half hr of getting in, there are the doors slamming and furniture scraping across the floor. It sent me right back to where I was before we left. All that stress and tension came back 100% and now all I can think about it going away again. From what I’ve been reading, there really isn’t a cure for this. If you are able to move, I’d suggest taking your time and finding a quiet place where you can at least have some peace in your life. Maybe someday there will be help for people who suffer with this.

#8683 Reply
        Evelyn

I think I may have Misophonia too. Sleepovers with friends have become unbearable Vaca use all I hear is chewing and breathing. I can’t focus on the convocation or what we’re doing because I’m trying to ignore the sounds. I don’t want to be rude and put in headphones. I try to hold in the anger but sometimes I lash out. I’m having to escape to the bathroom every few minutes just so I don’t lash out. Luckily, my mom hated the sounds of eating and breathing too, so the TV is always playing during dinner. My parents are worried about me because I always have headphones in at full volume. I do that because I can somehow still hear them chewing with the sound up. They keep telling me to turn my music down. But painful to turn it down because all I hear is painful. If anyone had advice please let me know.

#8682 Reply
          Craig

Have you tried mindfulness Kerry? I’ve found this very helpful as well as cognitive behaviour therapy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          Reply To: Reply #8683 in I think I’m suffering from Misopohonia
          Your information: