Reply To: Trigger stops when you realize it’s a different source of the sound?

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum Trigger stops when you realize it’s a different source of the sound? Reply To: Trigger stops when you realize it’s a different source of the sound?

Peaches

This is absolutely the case and I’m so glad that someone else brought this up. It’s not the sound, it’s the self-conscious idea that someone is doing it deliberately either because they are selfish and don’t care about other people, or to be offensive, or to frighten me even though I logically know that isn’t the case. My nervous system feels attacked and so I go into fight or flight. When my cat eats, I find his eating noises adorable. If a human made those noises, I would have to leave the room or resist a very powerful urge to punch them in the neck. Obviously, I am never violent. It’s just the overwhelming nervous system survival response. If I hear a thumping bass noise and think it’s the neighbour playing loud music, I want to run away and go and confront them at the same time. When I figure out that it’s just a tumble dryer and will end soon, I have no more problem with it. It is without a doubt connected to my perception that people are disrespectful and inconsiderate and have no regard for the fact that we live in close proximity. I love that someone else made this observation. The child next-door would make very loud screeching noises in our communal hallway, causing my heart to race and I was having a panic attack. My husband had to point out to me that the child is very young, preverbal, and just learning to walk. I went and looked out the door to see the child and when I saw that she really was just a baby and not a misbehaved brat who should know better, the shrieking no longer bothered me. She’s just an innocent child. Not a poorly behaved older child with parents letting her run wild. To sum up, I believe the context of the noise to be very important in whether or not it acts as or remains a trigger.